Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Shang Xia - bold steps for Hermès in China

Stepping into the new Shang Xia (上下) flagship store is akin to walking directly into a serene, calm cloud. The walls of the shop space are covered in pieces of white hexagonal mesh, from a distance metallic in appearance, but on closer inspection soft and malleable to the touch. The mesh curves round and divides the room, separating clothing from homeware


There is a feeling of calm inducing the senses to greet the products with sensitivity and wonderment. Glass cases ensconce wooden combs, porcelain ceramics and gold-plated key rings with (now, let's be honest) exorbitant price tags.


The ethos of the brand and its store is to celebrate and promote the artisans of China, although this doesnt seem to mean production is exclusive to China. I was told some lightweight knitwear I was admiring is made in Italy because that is where the best mills produce the finest cashmere, although the design remains Chinese.




















The store has the feel of a contemporary museum, somewhere you could learn about the design and thought that went into each piece. I was served by Hua Hua who was gentle and smiley, she was so full of enthusiasm and knowledge of the product it made a refreshing change and put it in a league of its own.


Although I left empty-handed, with a few thousand pounds to spare, I would have picked up a versatile loose fitting cardigan that could to be worn a number of ways - long, short, or scrunched up and worn as a scarf. Timeless, versatile, and easy to wear - I know I'd have got a good cost per wear from this, providing I managed not to leave it in a taxi within 5 minutes of buying it as I did with an Acne dress from Browns this time last year!!!



Opened in September 2010, the Shang Xia store sits amidst the mish-mash of old and modern Shanghai found in Xintiandi. A perfect setting for an afternoon's window shopping and people watching, be sure to make your way to Xintiandi and see Hermes' first foray into creating a unique brand for the Chinese market.



Shang Xia

1st Floor - South Tower,
Hong Kong Plaza,
283 HuaiHai Zhong Lu,
Shanghai

Tel: +86 21 6390 8899 













All the way from Shanghai,

Tara x

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your visit at Shang Xia!
    It's nice to read your comments and seeing myself in the picture...:) my pleasure to welcome you again when you come to Shanghai next time. Best wishes, Hui Hui.

    ReplyDelete